- This event has passed.
Oklahoma Muslim Gamechangers 2015
August 29, 2015
Changing the Game Through Leadership
Oklahoma Muslim Gamechangers is the newest initiative of CAIR-OK. The mission of OMG is to provide an opportunity for Muslim high school students from across Oklahoma to develop and utilize leadership skills that will enable them to both enhance the understanding of Islam in Oklahoma and facilitate the development of the Muslim American identity.
“Where are the Muslim Youth Groups?”
CAIR-OK started working closely with Muslim youth 8 years ago when we launched our Muslim Youth Leadership Symposium, which remains our most successful youth program to date. But MYLS is geared towards college age students and we found many high school students were eager to have their own program. Several high school students approached us and said, “Christian youth groups are such a large part of social life for students our age — can we create a similar Muslim youth group?”
Zoya Sattar, one of the young women who approached us about creating the program, put it this way:
“I began to formulate the idea of such a program after the first Muslim Day at the Oklahoma State Capitol, when I felt that the youth in our community needed a setting in which to learn the skills to tackle the issues Muslims face today. With the learning of these skills, we would be better equipped to face our problems head on… This is a must. Muslim youth must learn how to transform our current hostile surroundings into more accepting ones.”
We answered the call of Zoya and others and got to work creating an outline for a program that will educate and empower Muslim youth in Oklahoma to become outstanding leaders in all settings.
TENTATIVE PROGRAM SCHEDULE
- Saturday, August 29, 2015 Time: 12-4pm, 4-5pm
- Location: Belle Isle Library, Meeting Room B, 5501 N. Villa Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73112
Members will be presented with an overview of the program and meet fellow Gamechangers, program directors and youth mentors. All members are required to attend. 12-4pm luncheon (mandatory), 4-5pm CAIR OK office tour (optional).
MUSLIM AMERICANS PAST AND PRESENT
- Saturday, September 12, 2015 Time: 1-5pm
- Location: ISGOC Mosque. 3815 St. Clair Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73112
Explore Muslim American roots, the current positive impacts of Islam on society, and the development of Muslim American identity.
- Wednesday, September 30, 2015 Time: 10am-3pm
- Location: OK State Capitol. 2300 N Lincoln Blvd. Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Members will tour the OK state capitol and meet legislators. Students must be excused from school for this meeting. Lunch will be provided.
ENHANCING THE UNDERSTANDING OF ISLAM IN AMERICA
- Saturday, October 10, 2015 Time: 1-5 pm
- Location: Turkish House. 4444 N Classen Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73118
How to address stereotypes, the way Islam is presented in the media, and other issues that affect the Muslim American community.
- Thursday, October 22, 2015 Time: 4-7pm
- Location: New 9 Broadcasting Station. 7401 N Kelley Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73111
In this session students will tour the News 9 broadcasting station in order to understand how the local media system works.
CAREERS IN THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY
- Saturday, November 7, 2015 Time: 1-5pm
- Location: Mercy School Institute. 14001 N Harvey Ave, Edmond, OK 73013
Members will explore career options that will enable them to better serve the Muslim community. This meeting will include a forum of leaders in the Muslim community who will speak on how they acquired their role.
- Saturday November 21, 2015 Time: 1-5pm
- Location: Myriad Botanical Gardens, 301 W Reno Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102
As a closing activity, members will work together to set up holiday decorations and assist with plant maintenance as the Gardens gear up for the holiday season.
- Saturday, December 5, 2015. Time: 6-8pm
- Location: The Great Hall. Oklahoma City University, 2501 N Blackwelder Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73106
This ceremony will include a slideshow and presentation of awards along with closing remarks from community leaders and program directors. All members are required to attend.