OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — The Oklahoma chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations is getting ready to help 1,800 Afghan refugees who have fled their home country.
The organization says Oklahoma will receive the 3rd highest number of refugees coming to the United States. Many are fleeing the Taliban, which has taken over Afghanistan after a chaotic withdrawal of US troops.
Donations are desperately needed to help many who are arriving in the United States with little more than the clothes on their backs.
- Phones, tablets – gently used or new
- Calling cards
- Adult clothing
- Women’s clothing: long skirts, loose trousers, long-sleeved blouses, long dresses, scarves
- Men’s clothing: long trousers, shirts, jackets, socks, underclothes
- PPE: Face masks, hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes and spray, hand soap
- Hygiene products
- Menstrual products, especially pads
- Shower/bath products
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste
- Clean, new underclothes
- Baby products like diapers, formula, and clothing
- Children’s items like toys and clothing
- Winter clothing for children and adults
Volunteers are also needed to drive families to appointments and to run errands. CAIR is also looking for volunteers for welcoming committees and to help sort donations.
There are some things to note about volunteering. All volunteers must go through special training and screening with Catholic Charities.
All volunteers must also be vaccinated and may be required to follow COVID protocols regardless of vaccination status.
CAIR-OK is also looking for cash donations to help the refugees. You can donate and learn more by clicking here.