On Monday, May 20, 2013, Moore Oklahoma was hit by a devastating tornado that left approximately 13,000 homes damaged or completely destroyed. In what is being called one of the worst tornados in history of Oklahoma, CAIR Oklahoma knew that we had to work to mobilize the local Muslim community to lend a helping hand to those in need. With this in mind, CAIR Oklahoma partnered with the Islamic Society of Greater Oklahoma City, Islamic Society of Tulsa, and Mercy Youth Club to do our part in aiding those in need as a part of tornado relief efforts.
In only a matter of two days, our organizations were able to collectively mobilize the Oklahoma Muslim community to donate food, water, hygiene supplies, baby items, etc. to aid in the relief of thousands of Oklahomans. On Friday, May 24, 2013, a group of dedicated volunteers loaded a Uhaul truck full of donated items and delivered it directly to the American Red Cross in Moore, Oklahoma. In addition to this, local Islamic centers have made efforts towards making monetary donations to aid in tornado relief efforts as well. We offer our heartfelt gratitude to all those that have and will continue to support the relief efforts throughout the state. CAIR Oklahoma is in full support of all efforts to better the lives of those effected by last weeks devastating storms and will continue to play its part in all relief efforts in the coming weeks and months.
How Can I Continue to Support the Relief Efforts?
– ICNA Relief is on the ground in Oklahoma and mobilizing volunteers to aid in the relief efforts. Click here to sign up to be a volunteer
– Text via mobile phone REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to Moore tornado relief efforts
– Text via mobile phone STORM to 80888 to donate to Salvation Army tornado relief efforts
– Text via mobile phone FOOD to 32333
– Visit Moore Oklahoma Tornado Recover on Facebook for more ways to help! https://www.facebook.com/MooreTornado