Each year, CAIR Oklahoma (CAIR-OK) develops policy priorities to advance key issues and promote civic engagement among Oklahoma Muslims. The priorities are informed by research, community interest, and CAIR-OK’s mission, and is approved by our Board of Directors.
If you have any feedback regarding our policy priorities or would like to get more involved in CAIR-OK’s government affairs advocacy, please contact Lani Habrock at email@example.com.
Bullying, Public Shaming & Discrimination
- Expand the definition of bullying to include single incidents of harassment.
- Include the targeting of persons for sexual orientation and gender identity in criminal penalties for malicious intimation and harassment
- Protect citizens rights to strike, assemble at the state capitol, and exercise free speech.
- Prevent state funds from supporting agencies that discriminate.
- Ensure the rights of citizens to fair, open, and transparent government processes.
- Make current laws regarding low-level and nonviolent offenses retroactive.
- Reduce pre-trial detainment time.
- Amend pre-trial practices to protect the rights of the accused and decrease the number of people jailed for financial reasons.
- Reform sentencing procedures to protect the rights of defendants.
- Prevent firearms from being carried in schools, playgrounds, or government buildings.
- Prevent the erosion of commonsense restrictions on irresponsible gun ownership and carry.
- Make voting more accessible to working individuals.
- Reinstate voting rights to felony offenders once released from custody.
- Encourage responsible voting by emphasizing candidates’ policy positions over party affiliation.
- Increase funding for education.
- Encourage schools and educators to ensure up-to-date curricula, supplies, procedures, and facilities.
- Fairly compensate educators in terms of salaries and classroom expenses.