Full-time position, based in Oklahoma City. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by September 30, 2022.
CAIR Oklahoma advances rights for the Oklahoma Muslim community. We advocate on behalf of the Muslim community of Oklahoma for policies that protect the rights of all people, amplify the voices of marginalized groups, and that advance religious freedom, racial justice, and social justice in America.
The Advocacy Coordinator is responsible for acting in accordance with CAIR-OK Policy Platform to build coalitions that support our policy initiatives , building coalitions to support policy initiatives, and mobilizing public support for the organization’s mission-driven work. This individual will be a champion for racial and social justice, Oklahoma Muslim rights, religious freedom, and other principles as defined by CAIR Oklahoma’s policy platform.
The Advocacy Coordinator will develop and maintain relationships with municipal, state, and federally elected officials and identify opportunities for engagement between elected officials and the Muslim community.
The Advocacy Coordinator will develop and maintain relationships with local, regional, and national associates, community groups, and other key partners, policymakers, and their staff in order to keep the community informed and alert. This individual will assist in drafting policy analyses, reports, and other written documents, and will lead community education presentations, workshops, training, and events; and, in conjunction with the Community Outreach Director, will assist in the creation and dissemination of e-newsletters and legislative action alerts, and provide text and ideas for social media posts on a regular basis.
This position ensures the advancement of CAIR Oklahoma’s mission of enhancing the understanding of Islam, protecting civil rights, promoting justice, and empowering American Muslims.
This position reports to the deputy director and is full-time, exempt.
Duties of the Advocacy Coordinator
- Implements policy-related initiatives in accordance with yearly Policy Platform.
- Assist in tracking legislation that directly and indirectly impacts the Oklahoma Muslim community as it relates to organizational policy priorities.
- Attend key hearings, committee meetings, and other events at the State Capitol and other local governing bodies at which key policy movement is discussed or debated, and reporting on same.
- Works with other CAIR Oklahoma staff, community partners, and businesses to develop new participants or contacts and to explore new, innovative advocacy programs.
- Assist in developing and growing CAIR Oklahoma’s advocacy grassroots network, including recruiting members to serve as advocacy leaders.
- Ensures effective program operations and compliance with grant funder requirements, goals, and expectations.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with elected officials at all levels of government for the purposes of community advocacy.
- Coordinate advocacy activities such as Capitol visits, attendance at hearings, and meetings with legislators with key community members, partners, stakeholders, and staff
- Collaborates with funders and community partners on policy initiatives that are consistent with CAIR Oklahoma’s mission.
- Draft blog posts, emails, and articles on policy and advocacy-related topics.
- Prepare fact sheets and other documents that support CAIR Oklahoma’s policy initiatives and advocacy activities.
- Represents CAIR Oklahoma at appropriate community meetings, forums, collaborations, and coalitions that further the mission of CAIR Oklahoma.
- Working in conjunction with the Executive Director, research funding opportunities and participates in grant writing to meet program needs.
- Works to promote coordination and to prevent or reduce duplication of efforts in education, training, and related areas among like-minded groups and organizations.
- Consults with the Deputy Director to determine and provide appropriate responses to problems and emergencies.
- Keeps program statistics and other records as assigned.
- Adheres to all CAIR Oklahoma policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in political science, social sciences, or related field; or equivalent relevant experience or education
- Extensive knowledge of municipal, state, and federal legislative processes
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects on fast-paced timelines
- Ability to work at State Capitol, City Council, and other government buildings, including limited evening/weekend hours
- 1-2 years of experience in advocacy, paid lobbying, community organizing, building a volunteer grassroots network, or similar
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, OneNote, Sharepoint), social media content creation, and CRM/database software
- NOTE: Although applicants are required to undergo a background check, derogatory remarks may not necessarily be a bar to hiring.
- Software frequently used in this position includes Slack, Asana, Canva, Constant Contact, LegisOK, SignupGenius, SurveyMonkey, WordPress
- Experience working in BIPOC/minority communities
- Demonstrated respect and sensitivity for cultural and religious differences; ability to write and speak to multiple points of view
- Established relationships with current or recent legislators at any level of government
- Compensation in the range of $40,000 – $50,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
Please submit (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, and (3) the names and contact information of three references via email to email@example.com – in your cover letter, please include specific information on a particular impact you have made in your career and major goal(s) you would like to accomplish in the position of advocacy coordinator.